Boston Baked Beans
2 LB White Beans
1 TSP Baking Soda
1 LARGE Yellow Onion (peeled)
1 LB Bacon
8 TBL Sugar
2/3 cup Molasses
2 TSP Dry Mustard
4 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Pepper
- Soak beans in water overnight
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Cook beans in ample water with Baking Soda, simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Place peeled Yellow Onion in the bottom of a 4-5 QT ovenproof casserole (with lid).
- Add 1/2 of the bacon to the bottom of the casserole.
- Add the beans & top with the remaining bacon.
- Mix together the Sugar, Molasses, Mustard, Salt and Pepper.
- Pour mixture over the beans (DO NOT STIR).
- Add enough water to barely cover.
- Cover casserole & bake for 6 hours. Check after 3 hours (and every hour after that) & stir. You may need to add a small amount of water. DO NOT ADD TO MUCH WATER!