This recipe is what inspired me to purchase a waffle iron. After visiting the “Taste of Belgium” stall at Findley Market in Cincinnati last year I just had to learn how to make these. “Liege” style are not your typical Belgian waffles you get at the local breakfast spot. These are packed full of a special Pearl Sugar that caramelizes during the baking process. The result is a crispy caramel infused pastry that does not need syrup.
3 1/2 cups flour
1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
8 oz softened butter (2 sticks)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups pearl sugar (such as Lars’ Own®)
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk.
- Gradually add all ingredients to the flour, except the pearl sugar.
- Let dough rise until it doubles (about 30 minutes)
- Add Pearl Sugar
- Divide dough into 3-4oz pieces
- Bake in a heated & greased waffle iron